Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Time to Get Serious

Went to my best friend's wedding this weekend and it was amazing. I couldn't have had a better time. It was up north at the camp site where her and her husband worked as counselors. It was an amazing camp ground with everything you could need. They put us up in a fantastic cabin and the staff catered to our every whim. The camp is staffed by mostly young men in their early to mid twenties, and they gave me hope for humanity! I have never in my life met such polite and helpful people.

I got there in time to help out with decorating a bit, but they had already done an amazing job before we got there! The lodge had such a unique atmosphere as it was, and it was only emphasized by the amazing decorating everyone did.

Of course Erin couldn't have looked more beautiful. The morning was so much fun. Mimosas, hair and makeup, beautiful gifts, coffee and bagels delivered, great laughs and conversations. It was a great way to begin a perfect day. While it was rainy and windy, it didn't take anything away from it all.

We partied into the night and my beautiful best friend married hers. (And they had a photobooth!!)



I told myself that I wouldn't start to talk too much about our own wedding (did I mention we set a date? FINALLY?!) until Erin's was done, but now that it is over I am getting a little nervous! There is so much that has to go into this wedding and I am feeling a little overwhelmed about it. But at least I have a bridal party full of married women whose brains I can pick :P

Steve and I had originally decided upon a blue and red colour scheme for our wedding, inspired by this inspiration board I found on Pinterest.


I personally thought it was gorgeous (and still do!) and I was excited to give it a try.

However, the more I thought about it, I felt like it would need a lit lf details to pull off and we don't really have the budget for a LOT of details. So I have started leaning toward another scheme that I feel would be easier to pull off.


Keeping the same blue but changing out the red for the purple. I think it would be easier for me to put this together. Still using black as our accent colour, I think i have more options too. I have already found a bouquet I love and finding the right shade for my bridesmaids dresses is going to be a lot easier (going for the purple rather than the blue).

I have even thought of doing black dresses as long as there is a colour pop element like a sash or a slip (in purple)

Getting this wedding done on a small budget has been proving to be easier than I thought. We have gotten our venue for a great price, using a photographer family member, scored a cheap (and talented) DJ, found a fantastically priced caterer and we even won a gift certificate to a jewelry store for our wedding bands! I am going to get an amazing deal on my flowers and I am going to get my dress online, once I find a style I like from trying dresses in-store. While some of my little cuts might not be ideal for everyone, they work for us. The day is more about the celebration of us finally tying the knot and enjoying our time with our friends and family than it is about how much we spend on everything. I am sure our shortcuts will look just as good as a $25k affair.

We are doing a homemade cookie buffet for party favours and we have already purchased the bags (head start!). Just need to work out the centrepieces and other small details. I think we are doing well!

I will post pictures of things as we go :) This is going to be a lot of fun to plan!

No comments:

Post a Comment