Sunday, November 10, 2013

"Cook Club"

I love the idea of online communities. Ever since I became a mom my social life went DRASTICALLY down (as to be expected) and I noticed that my online presence increased because of it. I am a member of a number of 'moms' groups on Facebook and I love to follow blogs. That is why I started writing this blog in the first place. I don't have many readers, but that is OK. I like having the space anyways.

My interest in cooking has grown over the years as well. I have spent an embarrassing amount of time on Pinterest looking for recipes and reading many blogs on the subject. I also enjoy posting about my cooking exploits on this blog every now and then (although my food photography could be better... can't do much with a smart phone and a poorly lit kitchen :P). I had a thought yesterday that I would like to start a recipe sharing group on Facebook for local moms. Turns out, it exists already. Which is totally fine of course, but I kind of wanted to start my own, to kind of have a little project to work on. One of the other local moms told me that she used to be part of a group where they would all take turns recommending a recipe to each other, and they would make it and share their results. The idea struck me and I thought it would be super fun to do a 'Cook Club' with the same premise as a book club - everyone makes the same recipe and discusses it!

I have been able to recruit a number of awesome ladies from the other Moms groups I am a member of, and hopefully the word will get out! I am excited to see all of the recipes shared and to pick the recipe each week. Could be a great way to meet new people and learn a few things! The group also encourages people to ask questions and give advice, share their tried and true favourites, tips and tricks they live by and discussing the trials and tribulations of cooking for children :)

It is not JUST for local moms either - I have made it open to moms OR dads from wherever! I am sure tweaks will be made to the rules and structure of the club as time goes on (and if it gains any popularity, which I hope it does!) - for now it is just a baby and I am excited to see what it turns into :)

No comments:

Post a Comment