Saturday, November 09, 2013

Veal Parmesan!

My love for Veal Parmesan goes way way waaaaay back. It has been my go-to dinner to order at a restaurant as far back as I can remember (that, or fajitas. But they aren't both often on the same menu, so I am not faced with the tough decision TOO often). It is just so darn delicious! A gigantic, mouth watering piece of veal, breaded and fried to golden, crispy deliciousness, baked in a bed of savory marinara sauce, topped with melted mozza and parmesan cheese. It is often served with a side of pasta and veggies, but honestly, who the heck cares what is beside it? It will never hold a candle to that masterpiece!

I was flipping through an old recipe book tonight. Its my moms, she bought it from the mom of one of the kids on my brother's baseball team who was selling it for her church in like 1998 lol. So it is a cute book full of recipes submitted by different families in that community. It has quite a number of great sounding meals I'd love to try. My mom has made the chidken parmesan recipe from there once before, and I remember it being ah-ma-zing! I was in the mood to make something different (after I was informed that I make too many casseroles and pasta dishes *cough*steve*cough*) and someone mentioned veal parmesan to me in a facebook group. The craving was implanted and it was decided. I found the recipe in the book and decided that I could probably just substitute the word 'chicken' for 'veal' and pretty much have no issues.

Turns out that yes. Yes you can.

Here is the recipe! I think it is easy (albeit slightly time consuming) and so worth trying out! (especially that sauce! So simple but so delicious!)


Veal Parmesan
I definitely don't have the right light in my kitchen to take food photos...... also I don't have a real camera.

This is the original recipe. I didn't alter a whole lot, but I will describe what I did.


For the sauce
  • 1 large can of tomato sauce
  • 1 large can of diced tomatoes
  • 1 large onion, diced
  • 2-6 garlic cloves (depending on your preference) diced or crushed
  • 1/2 tsp black pepper
  • 1/2 tsp soy sauce
  • 1/4 tsp Worcestershire sauce
  • 1 green pepper diced (optional and did not use in mine)
  • 8 large mushrooms (optional and did not use in mine)
  • Dash of hot sauce (optional and did not use in mine)


Put a small drizzle of oil (I used coconut oil because I'm all on that bandwagon, but you can use whatever; canola, vegetable, EVOO, etc) in a sauce pan and start cooking the onions and garlic (also the peppers and mushrooms if you added them) until partially cooked.
Then, add the remaining ingredients and let simmer for 20 minutes.




For the chicken or veal
  • 8 breasts/cutlets
  • 1/2 cup of flour
  • 4 eggs, beaten
  • 1 cup bread crumbs (seasoned with garlic powder and parsley... I used an 'italian seasoning')

So you take your veal or boneless skinless chicken breasts (if chicken should be halved to be thinner) and drudge them in the egg, then flour, then egg, then bread crumbs. From there you transfer them to a preheated frying pan with oil about a cm deep.
You then fry them until they are golden brown on both sides. From there you transfer them to a baking dish with about an inch of sauce lining the bottom.

Cut up or grate mozzarella cheese all over your chicken in the baking dish, and add grated parmesan cheese (both of these to taste as I just eyeball it), add a little more sauce if desired and bake in the oven for 20-30 minutes at 350ยบ.



To serve with it i cooked up a little fettuccine to serve with the remaining sauce (i added in a big spoonful of herb and garlic cream cheese and a chunk of frozen spinach to change it up a little) and a 'california mix' of veggies.



As usual the kids weren't huge fans (can't get a standing o' for anything other than meatloaf with these kids) but Mom and Steve both gave it thumbs up :)

It probably won't work it's way into my regular rotation, but it is nice to have it in my repertoire for future use :)

No comments: